Monday, August 03, 2009

Sur le Pont d'Avignon




When the Saint Benezet bridge was built in in the 12th century there were 22 arches, but floods, conflicts and time have taken their toll and only four remain. These children were perhaps singing the famous song for the photographer when he took the picture for this postcard around 90 years ago. They all look very happy to demonstrate their dance.

My daughter Dom went to visit the Avignon bridge a couple of weeks ago. You have to pay to visit today.

3 comments:

soulMerlin said...

Lovely....Goodness, I wonder if any are alive today (morbid old me)

I hope you're well

love

henry

Isobel said...

Another beautiful card, Anji, and a great story behind it. I always love visiting here!! :)

Anji said...

Henry: I often wonder about that myself...

Isobel: Thank you you're always welcome.