Monday, July 14, 2008

Restful place



As usual I was reading the backs of my postcards when I came across this one which struck me as interesting. The house is lovely too. Here is the story behind it:

In 1914 a soldier was injured on the front and was fortunate enough to be sent here to convalesce. The owners arranged for him to be picked up from the station somewhere in Brittany and taken to the house. He indicated his room with a little cross – ground floor on the right. The owner and his wife are the couple standing on the left side of the picture. (Click on the image for a better view)

The young man also wrote that he was looking forward to meeting up with his friends on the front again….

8 comments:

Voegtli said...

This reminds me of your postcard, last year sometimes, with the soldier writing a letter to his fiancée.

Mariyah said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I love this!!! All about postcards...what a great idea!! I love the picture of the house. It reminds me of one my parents had of their home. Its nice to have a bit of the story behind it.

Tawnya Shields said...

Wow! What a nice story to go with the postcard. It is good he found shelter in such a beautiful home. I like ivy hanging from a house and this house sure has a lot of it. :o)

Anji said...

piscean rubble: Thank you for your visit. It is a lovely house and I enjoy finding out what I can about the postcards.

Titania: I imagine it would have been a restful place. I have plenty of ivy at the side of my house - it's becoming a nuisance, but it does look pretty, especially in autumn when the leaves turn red.

Unknown said...

Hi Angie ~ Beautiful. Your last line touched me...what if it was the last joy he experienced on this earth?

hope you're well

henry :)

Anji said...

Henry: They were the last words that he wrote on the card, fortunately he didn't know what the future held.

Anji said...

Peter: I will try to look that one up!