Wednesday, March 12, 2008

The sparrow charmer



This man was charming the birds out of the sky in the Tuileries, a Paris park, as early as 1868. I don’t know the date of this card, sometime at the beginning of the 20th century. Later in his life he started to go blind. When I wanted to find out more about him I discovered that he was a popular figure and captured the imagination and admiration of many passers by.

He reminded me of the lady who owned the house I rented when I first left home. She was well into her 80s and always busy. One afternoon I went into the garden we shared to hang out some washing and she was on her hands and knees trying to weed the vegetable patch. She was having a difficult time because she was surrounded by birds, sparrows; thrushes, blackbirds, they all got in her way as they tried to pick up the insects and grubs she disturbed by working. She had to keep brushing them away, but they just kept coming back. She too was a very special person.

6 comments:

cube said...

Funny I would see this today. My kids call me a cat charmer, a baby charmer, a dog charmer. I just wish I could charm money to fall my way ;-)

Anji said...

cube: i'll join you in that wish!

Tawnya Shields said...

That is so cool. I would say I am a kitty charmer, bee charmer, and charmer to any wild animal that happens to stumble onto my property. A regular Ms. Doolittle.

I think a money charmer is a fabulous idea as in the above comment. :o)

Take care.

Anonymous said...

lovely story thanks

henry

Anji said...

Titania: I always ask flying insects politely to leave and show them the nearest exit, they always oblige. I think that you and SoulMerlin have a lot on common if you haven't seen his blog before.

SoulMerlin: There is usually something special 'behind' each card.
I think that you would be very interested in Titania's blog, if you haven't come across it before.

soulMerlin said...

Yes I do remember it :)

It seems that the bird-people are the simplest ones..in the best sense

And the happiest

love

Henry