Thursday, February 07, 2008

Is it or isn't it?




As you are probably aware I spend as much time looking at the back of our postcards as I do looking at the picture at the front. The signature on the front of this card caught my eye – could it really be?….

Rob spent ages trawling the internet to find documents which were actually signed by Alfred Dreyfus. There were plenty of documents about him – he was wrongly accused of treason in the late 19th century. His main crime was being Jewish and from Alsace (There are certain regions of France where the people weren’t considered really French). He later served for his country during the first world war and received the legion of Honour.

We think that it might just be his signature and so we’ve put the card up for auction on ebay in the autograph department. The card itself announces the opening or the Palace Hotel in “French Brighton” at Cayeux-sur-Mer.

I'll let you know what happens next.

3 comments:

Willow said...

Wow! Now that's a true treasure! Hope you're doing well, Anji. Long time no see. Guilty conscience on my behlaf.

Voegtli said...

I probably just keep repeating myself, but then I don't feel shy about it: Simply beautiful, touching and a lovely way of showing the past.

And I would not like to warm up a cold soup. But on 7th December last year, I made a special post for you. I think you might not have seen it?

Have a nice day

Peter

Anji said...

It's nice to see you both again!!

Willow: I hope you are fine too. Any sign of that internet connection yet? I miss your stories and posts.

Peter: I did see it, eventually and I think I commented on it later. I will go back and read it again, I do appreciate your kind thoughts. The end of November and beginning of December were a very difficult time for our family, I wasn't as attentive as I usually am.

"I would not like to warm up a cold soup." Is that a typical Swiss saying? I wonder if we use it in French.