Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Lady with hat and umbrella



I always enjoy looking at how people were dressed, so I was pleased to find this card amongst a lot we bought at auction. I noticed the signature under the chair when I was scanning the card and looked it up. The photographer was Henri Manuel (1874-1947) who was famous for his work and you can still buy posters today. I haven’t been able to find a biography of him though.

On Saturday we’re off to another auction in la Rochelle. I can’t wait to see what interesting cards we come home with.

7 comments:

Tawnya Shields said...

I love looking at vintage clothing. I like the early 20's flapper girls.:o)

Anji said...

Titania: I'll keep a look out for flapper girls, haven't seen one yet!

Nature Nut /JJ Loch said...

Great photo!!! Super blog!!!

JJ :D

Willow said...

Very classy. Wouldn't you just love to put something like that on?

Anji said...

Nature Nut: Thanks for your comment and the compliment!

Willow: I'd love to dress up, we used to have a place in La Rochelle where you could dress up and have your photo taken, I don't know if it's still there.

About Postcards said...

There is a little information about Henri Manuel on the Wikipedia page below.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henri_Manuel

The same page has a couple of links to further sources.

Linda
http://aboutcards.blogspot.com

Anji said...

Linda: Thank you for the link; interesting to note the change in date of birth from 1847 to 1874!

A man of great talent