Saturday, November 01, 2014

Gateways

My father sometimes used to make wrought iron work, so I’ve always appreciated the hard work that goes into it. How many hours, I wonder, went into creating these two masterpieces?


The gateway at the prefecture in Tours can be seen today. It originally came from the Abbey at Beaumont-lès-Tours and was classed as a historical Monument in 1917. 


 This gateway at the Château des Perrais is still there too, although the Chateau is now a private Catholic school.

4 comments:

A Lady's Life said...

he was talented
I love these kind of fences

Anji said...

A Lady's Life: I hope that I didn't give the impression that my father made these! They are lovely.

In the UK a lot were lost in WWII because they were melted down for the war effort. In France the gates were hidden during the occupation so that the Germans couldn't use them

Mari said...

They're beautiful, I wonder if they do it with their own designs or somebody else makes a draft of design then wields it. Asplent was

Anji said...

Mari: I don't really know, but I suspect that they often created their own designs. My father made his own designs (not as ornate as these), but he did need help with the drawing of an animal when he was asked to make a weather vane